Today is My Birthday. I'm 35.

I used to have ambitions. Well, I don't know if you could really call them ambitions, they were more like fantasies. But anyway, there used to be things I wanted to do. Somehow I got sidetracked and now wham! I'm 35 and haven't really done a lot of the things I used to fantasize about.

In an e-mail to my friend Cyndy two months ago I told her the things I felt I needed to do to give my life (more) meaning. They are:
1. Create something lasting.
2. Get a cause.
3. Have something to take care of.

As far as creating something goes, I have an idea for a novel/screenplay that is about of all things, foreigners teaching English in Korea. For a cause, I would like to help North Korean refugees. Strange cause perhaps, but this is really something I care about and want to do more to help. Learning Korean is going to be paramount to this goal, and would certainly help the first one as well. For the last thing of course I would like a life partner or a child, but in the mean time I think I'll get a dog or even a plant or something. Just so I have a responsibility to something that isn't me.

So, in one years time, I hope to have finished at least a rough draft of the novel/screenplay. I hope to be able to handle basic communication in Korean and to be actively volunteering to help Korean refugees, or at least with a food assistance program for the north. Almost As soon as I get back to Korea I plan to get a small dog.

That's all for now.

Brian

0 Responses to “”

Post a Comment