The Nano was in a weird mood this morning on the way to work. I set it to shuffle and the first song that came up was The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" The next track was "Driftwood" by a less well-known band called Travis. By now I was suspecting a trend so I anxiously awaited the next song in the queue. It turned out to be "Make your own kind of music" by Mama Cass. You think you're so clever Mr. Nano, don't you?
The song set is interesting because it reflects the decision process I'm going through at the moment. Contract renewal season is coming up in about two months so with regards to Korea I'm asking myself, "Should I stay or should i go?" The lyrics turn out to be startlingly appropriate.
"It's always tease, tease, tease
You're happy when I'm on my knees.
One day it's fine and next it's black.
So if you want me off your back,
well c'mon and let me know,
should I stay or should I go?"
This indecision's buggin' me
If you don't want me set me free
Exactly who'm I 'sposed to be?
Don't you know which clothes even fit me?
So c'mon and let me know
Should I cool it, or should i blow?
Ok...lest you think I'm that resentful of Korea, I should emphasize I mean this in a tongue in cheek manner...mostly.
"Driftwood" is a song I used to listen to when I was feeling especially sorry for myself. I am that piece of driftwood, I thought. No home, nothing to attach to, just drifting along with the currents, powerless to defend myself against whatever harm the world would inflict on me.
Ugh! Pathetic.
Thankfully, I (almost) never go to that place anymore. Hearing it today though, it gets me thinking once again about how I've been living outside of the United States for a number of years now. It's fun. It's an adventure and it has given me opportunities I never would have gotten at home, but it does get old, and think I'm ready for some stability. I'd be perfectly happy to wash up on a beach somewhere and start growing moss.
"Make your own kind of music" works nicely as a counterpoint to "Driftwood." Its message is to be the actor rather than the acted upon. I guess Nano is trying to tell me, "get off your ass and make a decision already."
Perhaps this isn't as random as it looks. I am the one who put the songs on the Nano after all. Plus I seem to be twisting facts to force them to fit my chosen paradigm, like the "Bible dipping" scene from Running with Scissors. Then again, it could be a sign from above. In fact, now that I look at my ipod a certain way, I believe I can see...yes it is...I can see the Virgin Mary in the scratches on the cover...and she says she has a message for me.
The song set is interesting because it reflects the decision process I'm going through at the moment. Contract renewal season is coming up in about two months so with regards to Korea I'm asking myself, "Should I stay or should i go?" The lyrics turn out to be startlingly appropriate.
"It's always tease, tease, tease
You're happy when I'm on my knees.
One day it's fine and next it's black.
So if you want me off your back,
well c'mon and let me know,
should I stay or should I go?"
This indecision's buggin' me
If you don't want me set me free
Exactly who'm I 'sposed to be?
Don't you know which clothes even fit me?
So c'mon and let me know
Should I cool it, or should i blow?
Ok...lest you think I'm that resentful of Korea, I should emphasize I mean this in a tongue in cheek manner...mostly.
"Driftwood" is a song I used to listen to when I was feeling especially sorry for myself. I am that piece of driftwood, I thought. No home, nothing to attach to, just drifting along with the currents, powerless to defend myself against whatever harm the world would inflict on me.
Ugh! Pathetic.
Thankfully, I (almost) never go to that place anymore. Hearing it today though, it gets me thinking once again about how I've been living outside of the United States for a number of years now. It's fun. It's an adventure and it has given me opportunities I never would have gotten at home, but it does get old, and think I'm ready for some stability. I'd be perfectly happy to wash up on a beach somewhere and start growing moss.
"Make your own kind of music" works nicely as a counterpoint to "Driftwood." Its message is to be the actor rather than the acted upon. I guess Nano is trying to tell me, "get off your ass and make a decision already."
Perhaps this isn't as random as it looks. I am the one who put the songs on the Nano after all. Plus I seem to be twisting facts to force them to fit my chosen paradigm, like the "Bible dipping" scene from Running with Scissors. Then again, it could be a sign from above. In fact, now that I look at my ipod a certain way, I believe I can see...yes it is...I can see the Virgin Mary in the scratches on the cover...and she says she has a message for me.
Labels: The life of Brian

So Nano has become your one true wise friend ... It could be worse. At least Nano doesn't have an agenda ... or does it? Hmmm ... With regard to the decision, What are the choices? I guess you might want to consider starting with the end in mind and working backwards. What do you want for yourself in 5 years and what do you need to do in the next couple of years to get there? What do you want and what do you need? Are they the same? It's hard to delay gratification, and indeed, life needs to be lived in the here and now -- but there is a balance between gratification and investment that usually leads to success and contentment. Most people's lives are a struggle to find that balance. But then, most people don't have Nano to help them through the rough times.