So this is Christmas...

Last night I went to a Christmas potluck dinner with some friends. I brought sweet potatoes. Typically for me, I obsessed about the potatoes for like a week, then did (I have to admit) a half-assed job with them, then got my feelings hurt when no one touched them at the party. Luckily, some people were there who talked me off of that ledge. It was interesting talking to people at the party. I was feeling a little bit of social anxiety at the party (the soldiers freak me out for some reason), but I soon realized all four of the little group I was talking to were feeling the same way. So we had a little shared neuroses.

Today I did pretty well close to nothing. I loved it. In the morning I layed around watching tv and stuff, then in the afternoon I watched a Korean movie i got recently (*cough*bittorrent*cough). The film is called Attack the Gas Station. In Korean: 주유소 섭격사건. I heard about this film a few years ago in fact, but never had the chance to see it until now. It came out in 1999, and is considered one of the first movies of the "Korean wave." Gas Station is a comedy/action flick that's a fun ride, but also provides a brilliant satire of power/social/economic structures in modern Korea. It can be viewed as a sort of Korean Fight Club. Being familiar with Korea probably helps, but it isn't strictly necessary. Here's a review of the film that also provides some interesting information about the rise of the Korean film industry.

Tonight I chatted with Chris on MSN, and we ended up having an inpromptu Korean lesson. I really can learn Korean, and in fact I already do know a lot of the basics. It just is going to take a lot more practice for me to be able to use it. 그래죠?

The other thing I'm learing is I care about Chris a lot more than I originally imagined. If you put it all on paper he and I look completely wrong for each other, but damnit all, I just really like him. This was not at all what I had planned. And in fact I'm breaking my heretofore unwritten rule about not writing about other people on my blog, but I needed to sort of put that out there.

0 Responses to “”

Post a Comment