Woke up this morning to find a comment from Dru Blood, whose blog I linked to a couple of days ago. That was my first ever cross-blog comment. Well, if I’m being totally honest, it was maybe my fourth comment of any kind, ever. Anyway, Thanks Dru Blood.
If that was my fourth ever comment, then number three was yesterday. I got the following in my inbox right as I got to school in the morning from “Anynymous”:
“Why does your blog need a mission statement? Why can't it simply be what it is?”
Can I just talk for a moment about anonymity? I should really be comfortable with it, because, you know…, but somehow I find it vaguely unsettling to get a comment from someone whose identity I don’t know. Blogger (or maybe it’s just my template) will only allow comments from registered users, registered members of my blog, or anonymous. Why can’t there be an option to allow anyone to post, but leave a name? Even a pseudonym? Anyway, I don’t want to appear ungracious. Thanks for the comment anonymous. I appreciate the sentiment as well. Deciding not to make a mission statement would certainly excuse me from having to come up with one, and that sounds like a pretty good option at this point.
I guess I misspoke. Instead of a mission statement, something so official and purposeful (corporate even—shudder), what I should have said was simply that I wanted to say something about the governing values of my blog, which in a very loose and general way just means that my blog is mainly about me, and not about other people. For example, I’ve been very open about the fact that I am in AA, and go to meetings here in Korea, but obviously I don’t talk about other people there or what happens in meetings. By the same token, I try not to talk about my other friends or people I work with. There are a couple of exceptions (I was going to link to them, but I think I’d rather not) but even then I haven’t named names or spoken about people in a too specific way (again, with the exception of my vice-principal, who needs to die.)
There, I’m done with the blogsoul searching. Thanks, I just had to get that out of my system. With that, BoB will resume being “simply…what it is.”
If that was my fourth ever comment, then number three was yesterday. I got the following in my inbox right as I got to school in the morning from “Anynymous”:
“Why does your blog need a mission statement? Why can't it simply be what it is?”
Can I just talk for a moment about anonymity? I should really be comfortable with it, because, you know…, but somehow I find it vaguely unsettling to get a comment from someone whose identity I don’t know. Blogger (or maybe it’s just my template) will only allow comments from registered users, registered members of my blog, or anonymous. Why can’t there be an option to allow anyone to post, but leave a name? Even a pseudonym? Anyway, I don’t want to appear ungracious. Thanks for the comment anonymous. I appreciate the sentiment as well. Deciding not to make a mission statement would certainly excuse me from having to come up with one, and that sounds like a pretty good option at this point.
I guess I misspoke. Instead of a mission statement, something so official and purposeful (corporate even—shudder), what I should have said was simply that I wanted to say something about the governing values of my blog, which in a very loose and general way just means that my blog is mainly about me, and not about other people. For example, I’ve been very open about the fact that I am in AA, and go to meetings here in Korea, but obviously I don’t talk about other people there or what happens in meetings. By the same token, I try not to talk about my other friends or people I work with. There are a couple of exceptions (I was going to link to them, but I think I’d rather not) but even then I haven’t named names or spoken about people in a too specific way (again, with the exception of my vice-principal, who needs to die.)
There, I’m done with the blogsoul searching. Thanks, I just had to get that out of my system. With that, BoB will resume being “simply…what it is.”

0 Responses to “Man with(out) a mission”
Post a Comment