Phonemics. It's not just a city in Arizona.

[((((((((((((((((((((((((( ((]

This week I’m working on the first assignment for my Masters program.  Part of it involves listening to a recording of a Thai man speaking English.  I have to provide a phonemic transcription of his speech, about 30 seconds worth, and compare some of his pronunciations with what you’d expect from a Standard English speaker.  I hate doing transcriptions.  Hate it! Hate it! Hate it! But it’s necessary for the course so I gotta do it.

Did I mention my masters program?  Yeah, I know I’ve been kind of silent for awhile.  Some people have mentioned this fact to me in the past week, so I guess the fans are getting kind of demanding.  All three of them.  

So anyway, yeah, I’ve started working on an MA-TESOL degree from the University of Southern Queensland, Australia.  It will take me almost three years to finish the degree, but I’m in no hurry.  This semester I’m taking “Intro to language,” which is sort of a basic linguistics course, hence the phonology.  I think linguistics is fascinating, really. But it’s a tad on the abstract side isn’t it?  It’s hard for me to grasp some of the concepts.

Besides this, I also started teaching the new semester at my school last week.  The incoming first years (7th graders in US terms), are naïve, enthusiastic and impressionable, so I’m trying to take advantage of it before they turn into assholes.  I had a good week teachingwise, but it took a lot of work to stay on top of it.  I can’t “bring it” every lesson, but at least for now I’m trying extra hard.

A long, long time ago I said I had a big announcement coming.  Well, it still is.  I’m not quite ready to say what’s been going on lately, but I’ll spill it soon.  Promise.

0 Responses to “Phonemics. It's not just a city in Arizona.”

Post a Comment