Previously on The Blog of Brian...
0 Comments Published by Brian on Saturday, April 15, 2006 at 10:12 AM.
You know how your favorite TV drama will every once in a while take a break from its usual story arc and they have a whole episode where CJ goes to her high school reunion or something, and it’s always sold to you as, “next time, on a very special whatever”? And the resulting “very special” episode invariably leaves you thinking, “well, hopefully next week will be better”? That’s about how I feel when reading over my last couple of postings. Let’s venture out from the “very special” trip to the inside of my head and pick up our story where we left off, shall we?
To which…ahem…ARE THEY FUCKING KIDDING ME??!!
All week I’ve been enjoying my remarkably stress-free week. Not only did I finish my MA assignment, but since mid-terms (in my middle-school) are next week it meant I didn’t have to plan lessons for next week. Just bullshit my way through Monday and Tuesday, do last week’s lesson with my Wednesday classes, and then lounge around on Thursday and Friday drinking instant coffee and smoking cigarettes. Except that mid-terms aren’t next week. They will instead be the following week. I learned this fact at 4:15 yesterday. 4:15 on Friday afternoon, and I leave work for the weekend at 4:30. I have a full week of lessons ahead of me, and less than nothing prepared! I’m pleased however to report that I did not freak out on anyone. It wasn’t anyone’s fault really. It was a case of unclear directions and miscommunications. They thought I had the right info, and I thought I had the right info, and even when I double-checked, the error didn’t become clear, not until 4:15 today. What could I do except put some resource books in my bag and accept that I’ll be planning lessons this weekend? I definitely will make it an easy week. Word search anyone?
* * *
Ok, guess I can’t put it off any longer. I’ve been wanting to make an announcement of sorts for sometime, and have mentioned it obliquely in the past couple of weeks. Well here it is: Since early February I have been seeing a psychiatrist who specializes in the treatment of eating disorders. My specific problem is food addiction. Why am I going public with this? Well, because it is a major part of my life, and I’d like to be able to talk about it. Also, secrets and shame are a huge part of my story, and being open about such personal things I feel gives me a certain amount of control over them. Does that make sense?
So anyway, since I began seeing this guy, my weight is down a total of 4-5 kilos, or about 10 pounds. I’ll talk more about this in the coming days and weeks. It’s not supposed to be about losing weight, but still. It’s exciting, no?
Today I’m going to try and go to Itaewon to buy shirts. I think I’ll have some custom made, which will be the first time I’ve done that. We’ll see how it goes. *sigh.*
* * *
Oh yeah, a few housekeeping things too: I registered BoB on Technorati and put a search thingy in the sidebar in an attempt to increase traffic, because it’s all about the traffic isn’t it?
I also removed the link to my middle-school’s home page from my links list. It just seemed like that right thing to do. I’ve talked about other teachers here, and you know, wished for the death of my vice-principal, so maybe I shouldn’t have a great big ‘ol link to my place of work here. I’m only saying…
Finally, I finished Julie and Julia the other day. All I can say is it made me want to eat some really good food. I don’t have access to what I think of as really good food, and I was really hungry besides, so I ordered a tangsuyuk/jajangmyeon combo from a Chinese restaurant that put a thing on my door. It did the job anyway.
To which…ahem…ARE THEY FUCKING KIDDING ME??!!
All week I’ve been enjoying my remarkably stress-free week. Not only did I finish my MA assignment, but since mid-terms (in my middle-school) are next week it meant I didn’t have to plan lessons for next week. Just bullshit my way through Monday and Tuesday, do last week’s lesson with my Wednesday classes, and then lounge around on Thursday and Friday drinking instant coffee and smoking cigarettes. Except that mid-terms aren’t next week. They will instead be the following week. I learned this fact at 4:15 yesterday. 4:15 on Friday afternoon, and I leave work for the weekend at 4:30. I have a full week of lessons ahead of me, and less than nothing prepared! I’m pleased however to report that I did not freak out on anyone. It wasn’t anyone’s fault really. It was a case of unclear directions and miscommunications. They thought I had the right info, and I thought I had the right info, and even when I double-checked, the error didn’t become clear, not until 4:15 today. What could I do except put some resource books in my bag and accept that I’ll be planning lessons this weekend? I definitely will make it an easy week. Word search anyone?
* * *
Ok, guess I can’t put it off any longer. I’ve been wanting to make an announcement of sorts for sometime, and have mentioned it obliquely in the past couple of weeks. Well here it is: Since early February I have been seeing a psychiatrist who specializes in the treatment of eating disorders. My specific problem is food addiction. Why am I going public with this? Well, because it is a major part of my life, and I’d like to be able to talk about it. Also, secrets and shame are a huge part of my story, and being open about such personal things I feel gives me a certain amount of control over them. Does that make sense?
So anyway, since I began seeing this guy, my weight is down a total of 4-5 kilos, or about 10 pounds. I’ll talk more about this in the coming days and weeks. It’s not supposed to be about losing weight, but still. It’s exciting, no?
Today I’m going to try and go to Itaewon to buy shirts. I think I’ll have some custom made, which will be the first time I’ve done that. We’ll see how it goes. *sigh.*
* * *
Oh yeah, a few housekeeping things too: I registered BoB on Technorati and put a search thingy in the sidebar in an attempt to increase traffic, because it’s all about the traffic isn’t it?
I also removed the link to my middle-school’s home page from my links list. It just seemed like that right thing to do. I’ve talked about other teachers here, and you know, wished for the death of my vice-principal, so maybe I shouldn’t have a great big ‘ol link to my place of work here. I’m only saying…
Finally, I finished Julie and Julia the other day. All I can say is it made me want to eat some really good food. I don’t have access to what I think of as really good food, and I was really hungry besides, so I ordered a tangsuyuk/jajangmyeon combo from a Chinese restaurant that put a thing on my door. It did the job anyway.

0 Responses to “Previously on The Blog of Brian...”
Post a Comment