I’ve been in my new apartment for nearly a week now, but things are still very much in limbo with no word still on exactly when I will go to Japan for my visa, or when I will actually start working.

When you aren’t working it’s easy to settle into a state of inertia. Getting out of it is hard. Today I managed to get up at 7:30, get breakfast and have somewhat of a normal morning routine, but it was almost painful. After breakfast, instead of studying or doing housework as I had intended, I settled for watching Southpark DVDs on my computer. At a quarter-to-ten, as I was about to fall asleep again on the sofa, I shook myself awake and got myself out of the house.

Today I’ll meet a friend for lunch, go to my gym and do some other things, then pick up some more of my things from the goshiwon and head back home tonight. It’s become my standard joke that the apartment in Ha-nam is my country house (or dacha), while the goshiwon in Seoul is my urban penthouse. Neither could be further from the truth. Still, as long as it’s paid for, it’s nice that I can use the g-won as a place to stay on the weekends. That way I can stay out late on Friday or Saturday nights and not have to worry about catching the last train or bus back to Ha-nam. I even know someone who rents a goshiwon specifically for that purpose. He lives about two hours from Seoul and comes into town on the weekends. At around 300 dollars a month though, I think I’d better just suck it up and get to the train on time.

Two more quick things: It’s been a long time since I’ve posted any pictures. Tonight I will get my camera from Seoul and take it out to Ha-nam. Hopefully by the end of the weekend or early next week I can post some pictures of my new environment. Also, you (you know who “You” are) may have noticed I’m trying to write more frequently. That’s because it’s almost November. Nanowrimo is coming up, and God help me, despite everything that’s going on I can’t help but have another go this year. To that end, I’m trying to get myself in the habit of writing every day, and figured this would be a good way to do it. As usual, no promises, but I’ll try to keep writing throughout the next month.

Labels:

0 Responses to “”

Post a Comment