Last night I ran a mile.
It's not the first time I've done that. When I went to college in Idaho I had to run a mile and-a-half within a certain time; something around 16 minutes. It was actually a requirement for graduation. Well, it was part of a phys-ed course that was a graduation requirement, and the running thing was required to pass the course, ergo... I put off taking the course until the very last term I went to that school. Even the math requirement came out ahead that time. But the point is, I did it, and actually sort of enjoyed it.
During the past two years I've run on the treadmill at various times, but found running on pavement too arduous and painful due to a bone spur in my right heel. Last summer I tried to go running with a friend of mine in Tucson, and was left nearly crippled afterward.
My heel seems to have finally healed, thankfully. About a week ago I went out for a walk, more or less as an excuse to get out of my parents house for a while, and found that I felt like running. The "adult living complex" (trailer park) where they live has wide, flat empty streets that are perfect for an evening run. I probably ran between half and three-quarters of a mile that time, and could have gone further except for the cramps I was getting in my side. In the morning to my surprise, although I had numerous muscle aches in my legs and abdomen, my heel was fine. There was no pain whatsoever.
I meant to get out and run again right away, but it took six days before I finally did. Maybe that's not such a bad thing. In the mean time I drove my (rented) car around around the trailer park and figured out a route that equals roughly a mile. so last night I went for it. As I approached the place where I had stopped the previous time, I found I wasn't cramping up this time, but was having trouble taking deep breaths. (cursing myself once again that I started smoking again.) Getting to a mile wasn't all that hard, and I could have gone on in fact, but I guess running to the point of collapse isn't the point is it?
So in my mind I'm already picking out my shoes for next year's Boston Marathon, but the reality is I should just try to run one more mile. Maybe I will do it today, maybe I will wait till tomorrow. Maybe a day to recover is not a bad idea.
It's not the first time I've done that. When I went to college in Idaho I had to run a mile and-a-half within a certain time; something around 16 minutes. It was actually a requirement for graduation. Well, it was part of a phys-ed course that was a graduation requirement, and the running thing was required to pass the course, ergo... I put off taking the course until the very last term I went to that school. Even the math requirement came out ahead that time. But the point is, I did it, and actually sort of enjoyed it.
During the past two years I've run on the treadmill at various times, but found running on pavement too arduous and painful due to a bone spur in my right heel. Last summer I tried to go running with a friend of mine in Tucson, and was left nearly crippled afterward.
My heel seems to have finally healed, thankfully. About a week ago I went out for a walk, more or less as an excuse to get out of my parents house for a while, and found that I felt like running. The "adult living complex" (trailer park) where they live has wide, flat empty streets that are perfect for an evening run. I probably ran between half and three-quarters of a mile that time, and could have gone further except for the cramps I was getting in my side. In the morning to my surprise, although I had numerous muscle aches in my legs and abdomen, my heel was fine. There was no pain whatsoever.
I meant to get out and run again right away, but it took six days before I finally did. Maybe that's not such a bad thing. In the mean time I drove my (rented) car around around the trailer park and figured out a route that equals roughly a mile. so last night I went for it. As I approached the place where I had stopped the previous time, I found I wasn't cramping up this time, but was having trouble taking deep breaths. (cursing myself once again that I started smoking again.) Getting to a mile wasn't all that hard, and I could have gone on in fact, but I guess running to the point of collapse isn't the point is it?
So in my mind I'm already picking out my shoes for next year's Boston Marathon, but the reality is I should just try to run one more mile. Maybe I will do it today, maybe I will wait till tomorrow. Maybe a day to recover is not a bad idea.
Labels: The life of Brian

Well it's great that you did the mile, great that you are blogging again and great that we will meet up again soon.
Greg (now a head teacher)