Itaewon gets a double-shot

Itaewon is getting a second Starbucks. There is a big banner up announcing it on a building at the lower end of the street, where all the cheap tailors hang out. Some people might get uptight about yet another Starbucks, but I'm fine with it. Maybe some people like Itaewon's grunginess. I am not one of them. It's not like 'cool' grungy, just dirty grungy. Within the next five to eight years the US Army will no longer be at Itaewon's front door to provide customers for its knock-off sportswear and souvenir schlock. I expect upscale retailers will replace the old shops one bye one over the next few years as rents are raised, leases expire, and yes, as tenants die. Within a decade I predict the Won will be unrecognizable from its former, inglorious self.

On the other hand, does Itaewon really need another Starbucks? Probably not. Personally, I was hoping one of their competitors would set up shop. No doubt the Bucks' move is meant at least partially as a preemptive measure. If they saturate the coffee market, no one else will dare move in.

That reminds me, a friend of mine who speaks better Korean than I could ever hope to, tells me the hip kids are calling it 별다방 (byeol ta-bang) these days. Byeol means "Star" and ta-bang is the old school Korean word for coffee shop. What's most striking about that little piece of argot is that Korea has managed to Koreanize America's coffee behemoth just a little.

Though as for that, I recently learned that Starbucks franchises in Korea are at least 50 percent owned by the Sinsaegae group. Buying a grande latte from Starbucks and buying a liter of milk from E-mart are essentially the same activity. The money basically goes to the same place is what I'm saying. Because of Korean laws regulating foreigners doing business, that same situation exists pretty much anytime you see a foreign company doing business here. Like, if you have spent any amount of time in Korea you have no doubt met a couple where the husband (who is almost always from Canada) owns a hakwon. He may be the manager and handle all the day-to-day operations and it's "his" business in every sense, except his wife must be the titular owner because a foreigner can't own a business in Korea. The deal with Starbucks is basically the same.

These are just some random thoughts...and looking over this, I feel I should mention that nobody has paid me anything so say this. Normally I try not to mention product or business names at all, but this was a special case. Blogging for hire is a growing problem, and I would never engage in that filthy practice....unless the money were really good.

Labels:

1 Responses to “Itaewon gets a double-shot”

  1. # Blogger Red and White

    You've finally come under my spell, Bri, you've gone political!

    BTW Did you get my quick mail? What were the two movies you told me about during our Fuji meal?
    Greg  

Post a Comment