On the streets of Chang-dong.

Maybe it's because of the things I've been witnessing in and around my school lately, or maybe it's due to some other internal or external cause. Whatever the reason, my general disposition has soured considerably lately. Along with it, my photographic interests have also taken a turn toward the negative. I got tired of taking pictures of pretty things and also trying to make Korea appear more attractive than it really is. To that end I have started a new series of photographs devoted to Chang-dong, the northern Seoul working-class neighborhood where I live. If gritty, bare-faced reality is what you're after, Chang-dong is where you want to go.

This is a still growing, on-going series. Here are a few examples of my favorites so far.

Changdong - soju tents
A row of soju tents under the Seoul subway Line four tracks. Closed up in the morning after another night of business.



Changdong - produce shop
A produce market near Chan-dong station, receiving the early morning delivery.



창동(Chang-dong) going to school on Saturday
Students walking to school on a Saturday morning. Korean students still have a half-day of school every other Saturday.



Changdong - watching and waiting
A man appears to be waiting for someone, while a boy seems just to be killing time.



As I say, these are my faves so far, but do check out the others in the set. More will be forthcoming by this weekend. I can pretty much guarantee that, because I went and purchased a new zoom lens today and will be anxious to try it out and see how stealthy I can be.

1 Responses to “On the streets of Chang-dong.”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Brian, your blog and these photos just take me right back to Korea. Sometimes I really do miss it. The Soju Tents is so poetic. Although the image stands on its own, knowing that they are soju tents adds to the experience. And I also like the photo of the man and boy killing time. Very well composed, capturaing the aimlessness and waitingfulness.  

Post a Comment