Getting the shot

I know, I know...too long.

I may have more to say about that in the near future...we'll just see how it goes...

For now, my expressive outlet these days has become my photography. I've begun getting some shots now and then that don't suck. In fact, one of my photographs was chosen the other day as an Admin pic of the day for a street photography group I belong to on flickr. Here is the picture below.

Impromptu street party


Getting the shot was not easy. A few nights ago a large group came by one of the restaurants below my building well after midnight. I actually was getting set up to take a different set of photos that I'll talk about at another time maybe. The crowd looked sort of interesting though, so I decided to try and snap a few frames. It was too dark for the auto-focus to work, so I had to focus manually, which is fine except I'd never used it before except in a few practice shots, so I didn't exactly trust the results I was going to get. I mounted the camera on a tri-pod to steady it, but then I couldn't get a good angle on the street below. Finally, I just pointed the camera out the window and rested the barrel of the lens on the window sill to steady it. Some of the pictures did come out blurry, but some turned out ok. And yet, while I was fiddling around trying to get set up, everyone in the circle reached in and "clinked" their paper cups together. Now that would have been a killer shot.

Besides this one, I also posted one taken later, when the adjuma was cleaning up after everyone had left. Something about it just demanded that I process it in black and white, so that's what I did. I like both of them for different reasons.

Clearing tables - one a.m.

So, this might turn into a photography blog. Well, it will never be entirely about that, but it will probably start getting thrown into the mix from time to time. Hey, at least I'm writing.

Labels: ,

4 Responses to “Getting the shot”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    you stalker muhahahahahha  

  2. # Blogger Brian

    That's right...and I'm watching you...Muahahahaha!!!!  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey Brian, this is a fabulous photo. And indeed, all your recent stuff is great. What did you do to coloration on this? Those purple chairs are awesome. I'm looking forward to having more time and energy to do some photography this summer. This is my last week of school and then a long break punctuated only by a monthlong course for the grad school in July and then 5 days in London (where I will hopefully get some nice photos). Dale  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    oh nice purply chairs. Great photos!  

Post a Comment