Last night at 11:14 pm I submitted my final exam for my linguistics course. I made it a full 46 minutes ahead of the deadline. Well, that’s not really true. I decided I didn’t care anymore and just sent in what I had even though I should really have written about 200 more words and threw in a couple more references. It was never gonna happen. This course has been like having a root canal once a week for four months. It isn’t the courses’ fault, rather my own weaknesses; overextending myself, disorganization, procrastination, and let’s not forget victimization, which is the one I’m practicing at the moment.
Ah well, at least it’s finished. As much as I think I should take another course next term, maybe I’d do far better to sit this one out so I can regroup and concentrate on some other things for a while. The next course in my cycle is Principles of second language learning. It’s offered next semester, and then not again until next March. Being exhausted is only part of the problem. The other thing is the first assignment in this course will come due during my vacation. Pardon my bluntness, but fuck that. Now, I suppose I could make some special arrangements to turn in my assignment after I get back to Seoul, but even then I’d have about two weeks to write a 2,500 word paper about the differences between first and second language acquisition. I don’t know about you, but sounds exactly like my idea of a good time. There is an alternative option, but of course I would never even consider such a thing.
What? Stop looking at me like that.
What do you think? Take the course? Take a break? Something in between? I’m open to suggestions.
***
The Earth has obviously spun off its axis and is even now heading for a collision with the sun, because I seem to still be interested in a sporting event.
Togo was humiliated 2-0 against Switzerland yesterday, so they will be going home no matter what happens in Friday’s match against France. The outcome may not matter to the Togolese, but it will matter greatly to the French, and maybe even more so to the Koreans. Try to follow this: As it stands now, if France beat Togo, and if Korea lose to Switzerland, then France and Switzerland advance to the next round and Korea go home. If France and Togo tie or if Togo win, then Korea go through no matter what happens in their game against Switzerland. And of course, if Korea beat Switzerland then they will advance regardless of the France-Togo outcome. Got it?
Ok, I will reveal my secret. The BBC has a nifty outcome predictor on their World Cup site. I’m nowhere near smart enough to have figured that out on my own.
I will say this however: I hope Korea win on Friday. I want Korea to win. I think Korea deserve to win…but I don’t they will win. Actually I think the result will be
Sorry. That’s just what I think. I honestly hope I’m wrong.
You may have noticed I’ve been using British rules about collective nouns. When writing about football it just seems right.
Ah well, at least it’s finished. As much as I think I should take another course next term, maybe I’d do far better to sit this one out so I can regroup and concentrate on some other things for a while. The next course in my cycle is Principles of second language learning. It’s offered next semester, and then not again until next March. Being exhausted is only part of the problem. The other thing is the first assignment in this course will come due during my vacation. Pardon my bluntness, but fuck that. Now, I suppose I could make some special arrangements to turn in my assignment after I get back to Seoul, but even then I’d have about two weeks to write a 2,500 word paper about the differences between first and second language acquisition. I don’t know about you, but sounds exactly like my idea of a good time. There is an alternative option, but of course I would never even consider such a thing.
What? Stop looking at me like that.
What do you think? Take the course? Take a break? Something in between? I’m open to suggestions.
***
The Earth has obviously spun off its axis and is even now heading for a collision with the sun, because I seem to still be interested in a sporting event.
Togo was humiliated 2-0 against Switzerland yesterday, so they will be going home no matter what happens in Friday’s match against France. The outcome may not matter to the Togolese, but it will matter greatly to the French, and maybe even more so to the Koreans. Try to follow this: As it stands now, if France beat Togo, and if Korea lose to Switzerland, then France and Switzerland advance to the next round and Korea go home. If France and Togo tie or if Togo win, then Korea go through no matter what happens in their game against Switzerland. And of course, if Korea beat Switzerland then they will advance regardless of the France-Togo outcome. Got it?
Ok, I will reveal my secret. The BBC has a nifty outcome predictor on their World Cup site. I’m nowhere near smart enough to have figured that out on my own.
I will say this however: I hope Korea win on Friday. I want Korea to win. I think Korea deserve to win…but I don’t they will win. Actually I think the result will be
- France-Togo 1-0
- Switzerland-Korea 1-0
Sorry. That’s just what I think. I honestly hope I’m wrong.
You may have noticed I’ve been using British rules about collective nouns. When writing about football it just seems right.

It sounds to me like taking a break makes a lot of sense. Do what is best for your recovery.
ray