New York: Sun and Moon and Stars (and snakes and lizards, and Frozen Hot Chocolate)
0 Comments Published by Brian on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 12:25 AM.In the past few days I’ve seen and done, not to mention eaten, some amazing things. I”ll try to give a few highlights, but maybe can’t go into as much detail as I normally would. This is what I get for not updating for a few days. On a meta-type side note. This is always how it seems to go. Either nothing is happening, so I feel there just isn’t anything to write about, or I’m so busy I don’t have time to write about the things I’m doing. It’s never just right, but such is life. Anyway, on with our discussion…
On Friday my Brooklyn friend and I went to the Museum of Natural History. She and her family have a membership. We didn’t even try to see all of it, but breezed through the planetarium, saw an I-Max film about caving, and walked through a display with live snakes and lizards. The snakes and lizards were Kristen’s idea. I hate snakes. Lizards I’m ok with. But snakes, forget it. We both enjoyed seeing Gila Monsters as part of the exhibit. We both have seen Gila Monsters in the wild during our youths in Arizona, so we felt like we were part of a rather exclusive club. Hey, in New York City, exclusivity is a big deal.
After the museum Kristen had a hankering for a special concoction called Frozen Hot Chocolate. The ice cream shop with the special dessert was quite small and nondescript, but there was a line in the front entryway and…a hostess, complete with rostrum, putting names on a list. She told us the wait for a table would be about 45-minutes. Let me repeat that: It’s an ice cream shop with a hostess and a 45-minute waiting list. This is absurd in so many ways, and yet it’s New York, so it somehow doesn’t seem so crazy. We didn’t do it though. We had to meet Kristen’s husband and daughter and some of their friends or we might have. Remember what I said about exclusivity? Kristen swears it’s worth it. A Frozen hot chocolate, by the way, is basically a Frappuccino made with hot chocolate instead of coffee. A little ways down the block we found a candy shop offering a cheap imitation of the frozen hot chocolate, and that’s exactly what it was.
I’ll try to cover this past weekend in another posting later today. I’ve gotta get caught up somehow. Oh, by the way, I’m in Philadelphia now. See what I mean?

0 Responses to “New York: Sun and Moon and Stars (and snakes and lizards, and Frozen Hot Chocolate)”
Post a Comment