Summer Camp: Something is rotten in Jochiwon

It’s finally the last day of camp. No more classes, no more lesson planning, no more teachers’ meetings, no more little dried fish on the lunch menu. All that’s left is a talent show tonight, and the “closing ceremony” tomorrow morning.

Both the teachers and students have been dragging for the last couple of days. The unbathed, unlaundered younger boys are producing an ever worsening stench. The older students are getting bolder in their disregard for the camp rules. The other night several girls were caught in a boys’ room after lights out. Word is the girls were punished, but not the boys. I’m not even gonna touch that one. Today I heard a rumor that some boys were suspected of smoking. They weren’t caught I guess, just suspected. Some kids are blatantly speaking Korean in front of camp staff (and getting away with it), some others have given up speaking altogether. It’s time to go home in other words.

camp lunch

The final lunch

0 Responses to “Summer Camp: Something is rotten in Jochiwon”

Post a Comment