Summer Camp day three: Get to know me!
0 Comments Published by Brian on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 at 4:20 PM.
Today’s lessons were all about breaking the ice, lot’s of “getting to know you” activities. There are 18 kids in my class and before the first hour was finished I had their English names memorized. Personally, I’m against the practice of forcing students to choose an English name. If they want to be called by a nick name then I’m more than happy to use it, but I think it should be voluntary. Nevertheless, I don’t make the rules, and The Powers That Be have decreed that in our camp the students will have English nicknames. In somewhat the same vein, whenever I’m giving class rules, my number one rule is always, “English Only” rather than “No Korean.” The meaning in this context is essentially the same, but I want to be sensitive about never putting their first language in a negative context, or portraying it as inferior. Maybe it makes no difference at all, just a personal policy I try to follow.
My kids’ names are fairly typical, Jenny, Alex, Allen, Kate. There’s (at least) one Harry in every class. In my group though, one boy chose Spell as his name. I assume it’s another Harry Potter inspired moniker, but I like that’s it’s something a little different. A girl has decided Lian should be her English name. I never heard this name before, but thought it had a Celtic ring to it. Wikipedia however, tells me that Lian is a Confucian concept of vitruous, benevolent love. If that is where she got the name, then she is awesome! Though it far more likely was inspired by this girl.
We teach 80 minutes in the morning, take a 30 minute break, then go back for another 80 minute session before lunch. After lunch the kids have more classes with the Korean teachers. There are some great kids in my classes. In my regular teaching job I often wish I could take the one or two kids from each class who try a little harder than the others and put together a “dream team” class. In this camp class that’s basically what I’ve got. It’s nice…no…it’s a blessing to teach kids who want to learn. I guess being a great teacher is about reaching out to the ones who don’t want to learn, but I haven’t learned how to do that yet. I may not have students standing on their desks and reciting poetry, but for now, I’ll take what I can get.
Tonight we start club activities. I’m Drama Club. I’m going to get all the weird, nerdy kids probably, but having been a weird, nerdy kid myself, I’m totally fine with it. I’m going to give them a choice about whether to act out an existing story (like a traditional fairy tale or Korean folk tale), or make up their own little play. Personally, I’m going to push for the latter. I think it’ll be more fun that way.
Sorry, no pictures today.
***
By the way, yesterday, July 24th, was Pioneer Day. It’s the anniversary of the day the Mormon pioneers first entered the Salt Lake valley in 1847. It’s also Utah’s statehood day. It’s funny that no matter how much distance I put between myself and the LDS church, I remain aware of things like that, like a phantom itch.
My kids’ names are fairly typical, Jenny, Alex, Allen, Kate. There’s (at least) one Harry in every class. In my group though, one boy chose Spell as his name. I assume it’s another Harry Potter inspired moniker, but I like that’s it’s something a little different. A girl has decided Lian should be her English name. I never heard this name before, but thought it had a Celtic ring to it. Wikipedia however, tells me that Lian is a Confucian concept of vitruous, benevolent love. If that is where she got the name, then she is awesome! Though it far more likely was inspired by this girl.
We teach 80 minutes in the morning, take a 30 minute break, then go back for another 80 minute session before lunch. After lunch the kids have more classes with the Korean teachers. There are some great kids in my classes. In my regular teaching job I often wish I could take the one or two kids from each class who try a little harder than the others and put together a “dream team” class. In this camp class that’s basically what I’ve got. It’s nice…no…it’s a blessing to teach kids who want to learn. I guess being a great teacher is about reaching out to the ones who don’t want to learn, but I haven’t learned how to do that yet. I may not have students standing on their desks and reciting poetry, but for now, I’ll take what I can get.
Tonight we start club activities. I’m Drama Club. I’m going to get all the weird, nerdy kids probably, but having been a weird, nerdy kid myself, I’m totally fine with it. I’m going to give them a choice about whether to act out an existing story (like a traditional fairy tale or Korean folk tale), or make up their own little play. Personally, I’m going to push for the latter. I think it’ll be more fun that way.
Sorry, no pictures today.
***
By the way, yesterday, July 24th, was Pioneer Day. It’s the anniversary of the day the Mormon pioneers first entered the Salt Lake valley in 1847. It’s also Utah’s statehood day. It’s funny that no matter how much distance I put between myself and the LDS church, I remain aware of things like that, like a phantom itch.

0 Responses to “Summer Camp day three: Get to know me!”
Post a Comment