Today is Wednesday, September 20th. It’s now been more than a full month since my last cigarette. The cravings are fewer, but when they do happen they come on strong. When I’m leaving a restaurant after dinner for example, I’ll get the urge to light up. It's not that I’m consciously thinking about it, rather it just feels like the most natural thing to do. I remember I don’t do that anymore, then I kind of panic for a second because I feel a need and I know it’s not going to be satisfied, and this primal, childish part of me wants to freak out about it. Thankfully, the rational, adult part (at least so far) wins out and employs some alternative method to meet the need, or at least keep myself occupied until it passes. Gum helps.
In about 10 days I’m supposed to switch to the “step 3” patches, with a lower dose of nicotine, so I’m already gearing up mentally for that.
A friend of mine who quit like four years ago told me he still gets cravings from time to time….so I guess good times are ahead. No really, I know it’s far better than if I just kept smoking, but seriously? I get to jones for the rest of my life? Oh well. It’s a small price to pay compared to dragging an oxygen tank around with me, or getting giant tumors on my lungs.
So, there’s my pep talk for today.
Labels: quitting smoking

0 Responses to “Reaching a milestone”
Post a Comment