Yesterday I had waaaay too much coffee in the morning, then had a large popular no-calorie cola beverage, with re-fill, at dinner, so by 6pm I was jumping out of my skin. Today I tried to have a caffeine free day, but it was a no-go. I got a major headache by about two o’clock. Since then I’ve had two little coffees (the half-cup instant kind you get from machines here) and a half-liter of the afore mentioned popular cola beverage. The headache still hasn’t gone however.
It’s midnight, and I DO NOT want to work tomorrow. Of course I will though. My schedule is a total mess. My Tuesday classes are ahead of everyone else, while my Thursday classes are two weeks behind. The upshot to this is I don’t have to plan any new lessons this week, just some games and stuff to kill time on Tuesday. Most of my classes will get one of two songs. The older kids will hear “I say a little prayer for you,” (I prefer the Aretha Franklin version, but the kids so far seem to like Dionne Warwick’s better. They got no soul.) The younger ones will hear a really old novelty song called, “I’m my own grandpa.” See, they just learned a bunch of names for family members so the song is kind of good for them because it repeats a lot of the vocabulary they learned.
I’m still unsatisfied with the way my lessons have been going. I just feel like I’m missing something, and there’s no one here to give me any guidance. You know what I wish? I wish we had an honest to god peer evaluation system. There are nine other teachers in my program in middle schools in this district. Many of them have education backgrounds and could probably give me some good advice. Even if they don’t know any more than I do, just having an outsider observe and give feedback would be immensely helpful. But instead we have the same kind of fucking dog and pony shows like Hogwans do for the parents. Everyone knows it’s fake, and everyone knows goes along with it anyway. Well, it ain’t gonna happen so I should quit my belly achin’. For the time being I’ll continue to blindly feel my way through the semester. Harrumph!
It’s midnight, and I DO NOT want to work tomorrow. Of course I will though. My schedule is a total mess. My Tuesday classes are ahead of everyone else, while my Thursday classes are two weeks behind. The upshot to this is I don’t have to plan any new lessons this week, just some games and stuff to kill time on Tuesday. Most of my classes will get one of two songs. The older kids will hear “I say a little prayer for you,” (I prefer the Aretha Franklin version, but the kids so far seem to like Dionne Warwick’s better. They got no soul.) The younger ones will hear a really old novelty song called, “I’m my own grandpa.” See, they just learned a bunch of names for family members so the song is kind of good for them because it repeats a lot of the vocabulary they learned.
I’m still unsatisfied with the way my lessons have been going. I just feel like I’m missing something, and there’s no one here to give me any guidance. You know what I wish? I wish we had an honest to god peer evaluation system. There are nine other teachers in my program in middle schools in this district. Many of them have education backgrounds and could probably give me some good advice. Even if they don’t know any more than I do, just having an outsider observe and give feedback would be immensely helpful. But instead we have the same kind of fucking dog and pony shows like Hogwans do for the parents. Everyone knows it’s fake, and everyone knows goes along with it anyway. Well, it ain’t gonna happen so I should quit my belly achin’. For the time being I’ll continue to blindly feel my way through the semester. Harrumph!

0 Responses to “Feed your head(ache)”
Post a Comment