I called in sick to work today. Well, I didn’t call in per se. Yesterday I had all the classic symptoms of a head cold and decided then if I still felt bad this morning I would not go to work. Truth be told, I was pretty much hoping I would still be sick. This morning I woke up at 6:00 and decided I was still sick, and promptly fell asleep again until my phone alarm started going off at 6:50. My phone has this cool “morning call” feature where I can set it to “ring” several times at a selected interval. I have mine set to ring every ten minutes from 6:50 until 7:20. It plays a song I used to like, but which I now consider the most annoying song ever. The only reason I don’t change it is I don’t want to ruin another song for me that way.
When my phone woke me up for the final time at 7:20, I still felt sick, but not sick sick if you know what I mean. Finally at 7:30 I had convinced myself of my impending death if I didn’t take the day off. I tried to call the guy who gives me a ride to work every morning, but he didn’t answer his phone. I tried again at 7:45. Still no answer. Finally at 7:57 I decided to just get up and go to work like an adult. Sloppily dressing in the one shirt I could find that didn’t need a thorough ironing and gathering my things together, I sickly, lazily, and not to mention resentfully, stumbled my way downstairs to meet my ride. I suppose I may have played up the sick thing just a bit. Mr. Lee suggested I should tell the vice-principal I was too sick to work and that I needed to go see a doctor. This I did, and the VP very sympathetically said I should go home and rest, which I did/am doing.
On the way home I picked up some cold medicine, and I actually feel a lot better now, but still achy and tired. Maybe I am really sick after all. Mr. Lee even suggested I should take tomorrow off as well. While I have not made a decision on that, I am totally thinking about it.
Is that bad? Well, for the record I have taken exactly one and one-half days of sick time in the past four years that I’ve been a teacher. Even then, I made up the half day a couple of weeks later. Not that I’m trying to rationalize or justify myself or anything. I would never do that.
And if you believe that……..
When my phone woke me up for the final time at 7:20, I still felt sick, but not sick sick if you know what I mean. Finally at 7:30 I had convinced myself of my impending death if I didn’t take the day off. I tried to call the guy who gives me a ride to work every morning, but he didn’t answer his phone. I tried again at 7:45. Still no answer. Finally at 7:57 I decided to just get up and go to work like an adult. Sloppily dressing in the one shirt I could find that didn’t need a thorough ironing and gathering my things together, I sickly, lazily, and not to mention resentfully, stumbled my way downstairs to meet my ride. I suppose I may have played up the sick thing just a bit. Mr. Lee suggested I should tell the vice-principal I was too sick to work and that I needed to go see a doctor. This I did, and the VP very sympathetically said I should go home and rest, which I did/am doing.
On the way home I picked up some cold medicine, and I actually feel a lot better now, but still achy and tired. Maybe I am really sick after all. Mr. Lee even suggested I should take tomorrow off as well. While I have not made a decision on that, I am totally thinking about it.
Is that bad? Well, for the record I have taken exactly one and one-half days of sick time in the past four years that I’ve been a teacher. Even then, I made up the half day a couple of weeks later. Not that I’m trying to rationalize or justify myself or anything. I would never do that.
And if you believe that……..

Hi! I'm Jennifer Chavez's housemate! I've been sitting here reading aloud your blog entries to dear Jennifer (her dog just got de-balled, btw, and Jennifer is feeling a bit traumatized). Anyway, you're freakin' hilarious, and I'm seriously disappointed that you are gay. ;-p And I'm so with you - I hate Ibadom, too! Damn pig spines!
Take Care Over There!
-Dawn
http://lifesparkles.livejournal.com