It's nothing to lose your head over

Today is my 45th day without a cigarette.

It looks like my iPod really is kaput. It’s ok though, because I have a plan. Let me break this down for you. The new 8gb Nanos retail for $275.00 in Korea (they’re slightly more expensive here than in the states.) The cigarettes I used to buy cost $2.50 a pack. Are you with me so far? When I’ve been smoke free for 110 days, I’ll have “saved” exactly $275.00 on packs of cigarettes that I haven’t bought. I think that’ll be about the right time to give myself a nice little reward.

You know, if I really wanted to I could go right down to the Apple store in Myeong-dong and get me a new Nano, lickity-split, but I hear this delayed gratification thing is pretty cool, so I guess I’ll give it a try for once in my life.

* * *

About a week ago, at the Gwanghwamun subway station, I stopped to look at a table of DVDs for sale outside the Kyobo bookstore. They were mostly older movies, documentaries, and music videos. All legal, but none of it A-list stuff. They did have a copy of David Lynch’s Eraserhead on the table however. I had never seen it (I’d never seen any David Lynch film in its entirety in fact), so I picked up a copy, along with Tirez sur le pianiste, and The King and I.

On Sunday night a friend came over for dinner and we watched it. Up to that point the most fucked-up movie I’d ever seen was Brazil. Brazil is Mary Friggin’ Poppins compared to this. It’s been three days and I’m still creeped out over it. Next time I think my life sucks I’m going to remind myself that at least I’m not the guy from Eraserhead.



Labels: , ,

1 Responses to “It's nothing to lose your head over”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Congrats on 45 days!

    Kudos on delaying gratification!

    How can you not like Brazil, it is one of the most darkly brilliant movies ever made. Does this mean that you didn't like Dark Star?

    Of course, I was unable to watch all of Seven Below or Rain Man so perhaps my opinion is not worth a lot. Then again, I think Silence of the Lambs is almost funny in its campy intensity.  

Post a Comment