This is only a drill...let's hope.

Update: Apparently, yesterday's exercise was a planned, regular civil defense drill and not directly associated with Dear Leader's new toy. Now that I think about it, I do remember this sort of thing happening before, but this time was definitely different. About a year ago I remember hearing the siren one day during class. I wasn't told about the test beforehand, and no special preparations were taken. I paused for a moment, then once I realized what was going on, just continued my lesson as normal. I haven't spoken to any other teachers, so I don't know whether every school made the test a big dealio, or just mine.

By the way, just to clarify, my little editorial yesterday is not so much about Korea as it is about the controlling fear tactics used by my own country.

* * *

At 2pm today the Korean public school where I teach conducted something along the lines of a nuclear attack drill. I was only informed of this event about 30 minutes before it happened, and I was unsure what form it would take. In my head I had images of black and white "Duck and Cover" training films from the 1950s.

I thought this was an internal school exercise, but two o'clock, the vice-principal came on the PA system, then kicked it over to a KBS broadcast. It looks like it may have been a nationwide exercise. As the KBS announcer began an air-raid siren sounded. The voice on the broadcast spoke loudly, in short, clipped phrases. He sounded urgent and ominous, but then the loudspeakers on vegetable trucks sound urgent and ominous to me, so what do I know? He continued for about 20 minutes while the students mostly ignored him. During the broadcast a military jet flew overhead, sending several students scrambling to the window to see what was going on. One can't help but think it was a choreographed part of the broadcast. When it was over the vice-principal returned and announced the end of the period.

Back in the teachers' office, I asked another teacher what was said during the broadcast. She said she had never heard anything like it in her life. I asked if "Propaganda" was a fair desription. She agreed it was, but that the tone was very different this time around. She didn't elaborate further.

My own take is that this has nothing whatsoever to do with civil readiness, and everything to do with cultivating fear. An excercise like they did today is pointless for at least three reasons I can think of: A) As I hope we all know, NK doesn't yet have the technology to mount a nuclear warhead onto a missile. B) Their missle tests have been kind of dodgy so far; they'd be as likely to blow themselves up as anyone else. C) Obviously, if such an attack ever did occur, no drills, sirens, or announcements would matter.

My parents both did bomb drills when they were in school in case the Russians decided to attack. When I went to Russia people told me they had bomb drills in their schools in case the Americans decided to attack. These things serve no practical purpose as a defense againse foreign hostiles. They are however, extremely useful as a means of a government exercising control over its own people. People who are afraid are less likely to ask questions.

Labels: , ,

2 Responses to “This is only a drill...let's hope.”

  1. # Blogger Greg

    I have to agree. In South Korea, the most likely goal is to build up hostility and mistrust born through fear of their cousins 'up north'.

    That said, the tension worries me primarily due to the fact that Mr Bush is once again the man who will decide to 'smoke 'em out', with the cheerleading done by our man Tony, of course.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Unfortunately, I am going to be the skunk at the picnic -- though picnic is not what you are experiencing right now and I empathize with that.

    Yes, the South Koreans want to build fear and use that to their advantage, but they also want to have it both ways, because they have not stopped the factories they run in cooperation with the North or some of the trade and assistance. They fear, like the Chinese, the disaster that would be in their own lap, if the North were to implode. For this reason, the South Koreans are also not enforcing the UN sanctions to the letter in terms of inspecting North Korean ships.

    Also, the air raid drills are not primarily for nuclear attack. North Korea has massive amounts of artillary that would rain down on Seoul in the event of any military skirmishes and the South Korean government cannot be entirely sure that this situation won't spiral out of control. It is highly unlikely that it will, but it's prudent of them to prepare for the unthinkable.

    All of which means that no matter where one is (I living in Philadelphia must worry about random muggings and murders), there's always something to worry about. Earhtquakes in Japan, Hurricanes in New Orleans, murders in Philly, crazy cognac drinking madmen in Korea.  

Post a Comment