At least he was caught on the inside
0 Comments Published by Brian on Monday, November 27, 2006 at 8:47 AM.
Last night I was on a line one train on my way home from the Itaewon area. I take line six to Seokgye, then change to line one for the rest of the journey. It takes from 45 minutes to an hour to go from where I live to anywhere in central Seoul. Anyplace south of the river takes at least 90 minutes. I live really effing far from anyplace interesting.
So, the train pulled into Seongbuk station and sat for a couple of minutes. Just as the doors were closing five youngish (college-aged) guys ran into the train. It was one of those deals where one or two of them got caught in the doors, so the doors opened again and waited a couple of seconds before trying to close again. In the time that took, one of the boys asked a question of another passenger. Then just as quickly as they had dashed in, they all tried to dash out again. Three of the crew made it, but this time the doors held fast, cleaving the party in two. As the train pulled away from the station it became apparent that one of the unfortunates had got his jacket caught in the door and he was tugging at it frantically. I checked the faces of the other passengers around me for signs of Schadenfreude. Everyone was watching the spectacle, but most sat stony-faced. I did find one girl though, sitting directly across from the boys, hiding her giggles behind a paperback book.
The boy managed to pull his jacket free from the door, they got out at the next station, and I've no doubt they all met up again and got to the destination without too much delay. Little unplanned adventures like that from time to time are a useful thing. If you take the right attitude, they are fun. They are even more fun when they happen to other people.
So, the train pulled into Seongbuk station and sat for a couple of minutes. Just as the doors were closing five youngish (college-aged) guys ran into the train. It was one of those deals where one or two of them got caught in the doors, so the doors opened again and waited a couple of seconds before trying to close again. In the time that took, one of the boys asked a question of another passenger. Then just as quickly as they had dashed in, they all tried to dash out again. Three of the crew made it, but this time the doors held fast, cleaving the party in two. As the train pulled away from the station it became apparent that one of the unfortunates had got his jacket caught in the door and he was tugging at it frantically. I checked the faces of the other passengers around me for signs of Schadenfreude. Everyone was watching the spectacle, but most sat stony-faced. I did find one girl though, sitting directly across from the boys, hiding her giggles behind a paperback book.
The boy managed to pull his jacket free from the door, they got out at the next station, and I've no doubt they all met up again and got to the destination without too much delay. Little unplanned adventures like that from time to time are a useful thing. If you take the right attitude, they are fun. They are even more fun when they happen to other people.
Labels: life in Korea

0 Responses to “At least he was caught on the inside”
Post a Comment