No more words, (and no more promises)

Score one point if you can tell me the name of the 80's pop group that sang the song from whence I took the title of this posting. Score yourself a bonus point if you were actually in high school at the time and remember watching the video on MTV back in the day.

So...anyway, the writing isn't going so well. I tortured myself about it for three days (strapping your other hand to the waterboard is next to impossible), then finally on Saturday I decided to just take care of other things that were distracting me. that is, I did all the things that I was telling myself I should be doing instead of trying to write a novel.

It turned out I had a lot of stuff to do.

So now I have maybe the cleanest bathroom in the neighborhood (that might actually be true), my laundry is all done, my shirts are all ironed, and I've taken care of a thousand other little chores that needed doing. Unfortunately, I still don't feel like sitting down to write a novel.

Another thing is going on that I'm not willing to talk about here. I only mention that because I don't want to give the impression that I'm giving up so easily. There is actually a very good, medically verifiable reason why I can't write a novel this month. But I'm not going to talk about it.

...and yet,

I had some free time this afternoon and wrote about 500 words. Sigh! I remember I once read a quote from Garrison Keillor about this, which hey, I found online somewhere. The Google is a marvelous thing.

"When you want to quit: Put your manuscript away for a time. Go off and 'shoot pool,' watch TV, fish - do whatever you want to do and see what happens. If the urge to write goes away, you have no problem. If it doesn't, you'd better resign yourself to the idea you'll never be happy, unless you are a writer."

Sigh! I don't know if I'm a writer-but dammit all, like a dog to his own vomit, I keep going back to it.

No promises...

Labels: ,

1 Responses to “No more words, (and no more promises)”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Berlin.

    How are you? It's election night here in America and I'm trying to hold off turning on CNN as long as possible so that when I do, I'll actually get news instead of the news about the possible upcoming news.

    I also have a clean bathroom and it is also possibly the cleanest in the neighborhood. Kevin came to visit this weekend and nothing induces one to clean like weekend visitors; unless of course, you're writing a novel.

    Which I very nearly am here.

    But anyway, how are you? I am feeling pretty content right now. Perhaps even (gasp) happy. I admit it -- I like my life right now.

    The sound you hear are knuckles hitting my wooden desk.

    And though I'm not writing a novel like you are(n't) -- okay that was an irresistible joke -- I do feel like I'm making my living in live theatre every day. The classroom is a stage. My lesson plans are the script, and I am both actor and director; while my students are both actors and audience. It's sounds like a hyperbolic metaphor, but really, that is how I experience it.

    I feel like the good feeling I had in Korea has returned (finally) and now I can also buy a much larger variety of groceries.

    I am happier than a pig in shit.

    Let's talk soon. It's been awhile.

    Dale  

Post a Comment