This morning I decided to get out and get some errands done that I have been putting off for some time. I decided it would be a good day to come down to COEX mall in southeastern Seoul. The trouble is, so did about 8 million other people. I don't do well in crowds. This makes living in Asia an extra special challenge. I have gotten a lot better. I'm the Dalai, friggin' Lama compared to how I used to be, but I still get twitchy now and again.
Today's missions included getting a haircut, having my watch repaired, getting new lenses for my glasses, browsing for materials to use in my classes, shopping for shoes, investigating depilitation options (yes really), and one other thing. I'll get to that in a minute.
Right now I'm at Starbucks, not in COEX itself, but under the ASEM Tower, or whatever the building is called. It's less busy here. I'm writing this while I wait for my glasses to be repaired. It looks like I'll have to finish my errands tomorrow, if I finish them at all.
The other thing I mentioned earlier? 8 gigabyte iPod nano. What? Did you really think I was going to wait 'till December? If you did, then you don't know me very well. Ok. Even I'm disappointed with myself for breaking down. I feel it was a reasoned, judicious decision however. The old mini I had laying around turned out to be unwieldy when I tried to use it at the gym. I found myself avoiding going to the gym because of it. Obviously that wouldn't do. Does that sound like bullshit reasoning? Yeah, it does to me too. Oh well, too late. Le Pod est a moi.
Besides, I have been smoke free for about 70 days now, and that ain't nothin'. I know you'll understand.
Today's missions included getting a haircut, having my watch repaired, getting new lenses for my glasses, browsing for materials to use in my classes, shopping for shoes, investigating depilitation options (yes really), and one other thing. I'll get to that in a minute.
Right now I'm at Starbucks, not in COEX itself, but under the ASEM Tower, or whatever the building is called. It's less busy here. I'm writing this while I wait for my glasses to be repaired. It looks like I'll have to finish my errands tomorrow, if I finish them at all.
The other thing I mentioned earlier? 8 gigabyte iPod nano. What? Did you really think I was going to wait 'till December? If you did, then you don't know me very well. Ok. Even I'm disappointed with myself for breaking down. I feel it was a reasoned, judicious decision however. The old mini I had laying around turned out to be unwieldy when I tried to use it at the gym. I found myself avoiding going to the gym because of it. Obviously that wouldn't do. Does that sound like bullshit reasoning? Yeah, it does to me too. Oh well, too late. Le Pod est a moi.
Besides, I have been smoke free for about 70 days now, and that ain't nothin'. I know you'll understand.
Labels: life in Korea


Well, I think you did good putting it off as long as you did. Progress, not perfection. Besides, this will make exercising easier as well as riding the subway and bus. See, you will be able to make some use of that time, this is an investment in your productivity.
I am always amazed at the various sides to Korea. The Korea I know and lived in was COEX, Dogok and Yongson (including Itewan).
You are doing great with the not smoking, it gets a lot easier after a while (with an occasional rough spot).
MK sends her love as do I.
the phantom
boy did this entry take me back to a time and some memories... I am also ipod shopping, though for a poseter contest for my students -- the newest shuffle is so small it's actually just a clip on thing and supposedly the world's smallest mp3 (take that cheap competition!)
I also enjoyed your comments about school and teaching. Yesterday, two things happened that made me feel good: my principal lead a delegation from the School Board who had popped in unannounced to photograph and examine my classroom based on reports they were thinking of nominating it for a "model" in how classrooms should be decorated. Needless to say, my Principal was pleased. The other thing was that the poster contest I had my kids doing was going over well. The kids are over the top excited and running around the school with giant poster boards rolled up under their arms, armed with the material they will use to win that ipod. Or so they hope.