Unsafe [novelling] at any speed
1 Comments Published by Brian on Saturday, November 18, 2006 at 12:29 PM.
I think I finally get the point of this Nanowrimo thing. It's like taking your car out on the highway and "opening up the throttle to see what she can do." It's not about reaching any particular destination. It's about doing something for the pure joy of the thing itself. Sure, in this case there is an arbitrary goal of writing 50,000 words in a month. The number is about motivation. It's there to make you desperate enough to waste words. Without the word count and the deadline, we would write slowly and carefully, stopping at every crossroad and looking both ways before proceeding. We think we have to squeeze every drop we can out of every word, as if words were a precious natural resource. Nanowrimo represents a return to the glory days of writing, when words cost just pennies a gallon. We all wrote with giant, inefficient machines and thought the well of words would never run dry. Heck, we even wrote without wearing our seatbelts.
Having said that, I think I must have a clogged fuel injector (to carry the metaphor perhaps a bit too far). I've decided to keep writing, but I'm not going to worry too much if I don't reach the word goal this year. With everything I've got going on this year, as long as I don't give up I'll be a "winner." Besides, I mainly just need my words to get around town and take the kids to soccer practice.
Having said that, I think I must have a clogged fuel injector (to carry the metaphor perhaps a bit too far). I've decided to keep writing, but I'm not going to worry too much if I don't reach the word goal this year. With everything I've got going on this year, as long as I don't give up I'll be a "winner." Besides, I mainly just need my words to get around town and take the kids to soccer practice.
Labels: Nanowrimo

Are your words boxy and roomy? Got cup holders in convient locations? Separate A/C controls for front and back? Got the DVD player for the back seat (absolutly required for those long trips)? Enough lighter (power) sockets (minimum two for the front seat, two for the back seat and one for the tailgate)?
Glad to hear that you find the point to the exercise! Ain't life fun when you dump some of the baggage?
the phantom