We're already a third of the way into December, and I have yet to write anything on this page this month. Bad blogger! Sadly, today's entry will not be any great shakes either. It's not there is nothing interesting happening in my life, it's just, I don't know...maybe it's a winter thing.
For the sake of tying off loose ends, I did not in fact write a novel last month. I got as far as 14,000 words and stopped. Oh well. I'll try again next year. It's too bad really. My story was finally starting to go somewhere, but by that time it was too late to get to the finish, and I had mentally moved on to other things. I guess I wrote about that already.
The seventh and eighth graders in my school started their final exams yesterday. They will continue through next Wednesday. For the ninth graders I've been showing Mr. Bean videos and playing word Bingo. Hey, at least I bother showing up for class. Yesterday I passed by one classroom where Misery was playing on the wide-screen TV, virtually every kid in class was either sleeping or playing with their mobile, and the teacher was nowhere to be found. Now there's some quality education.
After finals are done, virtually no learning will take place in the whole school for the rest of the semester. They will most likely shorten classes to 40 minutes, and in nearly every class the teacher will show videos or just let the kids do whatever. At the end of Last semester I noticed one teacher had made three large Sudoku puzzles on the blackboard. That's fine. At least it uses your brain a little. The only thing is, it was an art class. Oh well.
For the sake of tying off loose ends, I did not in fact write a novel last month. I got as far as 14,000 words and stopped. Oh well. I'll try again next year. It's too bad really. My story was finally starting to go somewhere, but by that time it was too late to get to the finish, and I had mentally moved on to other things. I guess I wrote about that already.
The seventh and eighth graders in my school started their final exams yesterday. They will continue through next Wednesday. For the ninth graders I've been showing Mr. Bean videos and playing word Bingo. Hey, at least I bother showing up for class. Yesterday I passed by one classroom where Misery was playing on the wide-screen TV, virtually every kid in class was either sleeping or playing with their mobile, and the teacher was nowhere to be found. Now there's some quality education.
After finals are done, virtually no learning will take place in the whole school for the rest of the semester. They will most likely shorten classes to 40 minutes, and in nearly every class the teacher will show videos or just let the kids do whatever. At the end of Last semester I noticed one teacher had made three large Sudoku puzzles on the blackboard. That's fine. At least it uses your brain a little. The only thing is, it was an art class. Oh well.
Labels: EFL teaching, life in Korea

0 Responses to “Ha ha, made you look”
Post a Comment