Yesterday should have been my first time teaching the volunteer class out in Gresham. I say should have been because when it was time for class the original teacher showed up and we decided to let her teach and I would observe for the time being. While I don't mean to knock the teacher-I mean she's a volunteer and all, and hasn't had experience or training in ESL-watching the class made me realize just how far I've come as a teacher. Next week it will be my turn to teach and the other one will watch me. I think it will be a good lesson. Well, I don't want to jinx myself, but you know, I have some confidence let's say.

I guess I didn't explain this thing I'm doing. See, while I was still at my parents' I looked on Craigslist and found a volunteer opportunity to teach English to immigrants through Mt. Hood Community college. Since I will be in town this summer with not much to do I thought I'd have a go at it. Anyway, it will be a good opener to what I hope to do next year, volunteering to work with immigrant and refugee populations. It's part three of my grand scheme: "get a cause."

I'm hitting a nooner today then meeting up with Ryan later. If it doesn't rain we're going to take his bike out to the waterfront to see what it can do.

0 Responses to “”

Post a Comment