Hatwok bilong mi pepa

Yesterday, because or some fluke or other, I only had one class.  It was a stroke of luck actually because of the mess I made of my schedule by being out for two days last week.  My Tuesday classes were ahead of everyone else, so it was just as well that almost all of them got the day off (from me that is, they had some workshop or something about their future job prospects and stuff).  

I worked hard on my assignment yesterday and feel like I’ve finally cracked the nut.  I began work on my second draft, and got over a thousand words written (out of 2000-2500 required).  Last night I wrote about Tok Pisin, a creole language in Papua New Guinea, which is kind of an interesting thing because it started as an English pidgin, got creolized and became a “real” language, and is now undergoing a decreolization process, so it is once again become more like standard English.  I know this is a nerdy little fact, and is probably far more interesting to me than to “normal” people, but I like knowing weird little things like that.  

Tonight I’m going to write about a Gaelic dialect spoken in a few fishing villages in Scotland, and may or may not touch on Irish.  On Thursday I’ll write the next major section, on language revitalization, then on Saturday and Sunday I’ll write my conclusions, then go back and make sure my citations are correct and all that technical bullshit.  

I’m still on the fence about whether to take a course next semester.  The course I would take next is Second Language Acquisition.  It’s the one I started this semester, then dropped because I figured out I was kidding myself about the taking two courses at a time thing.  You know what I need to do?  I need to figure out why I’m even doing this.  Right now I sort of have a vague dual-path idea, that I’ll either use my masters to teach in a University here, or I’ll use it to go home and teach in the states, either in a secondary school, or possibly in a junior college somewhere.  I guess I need to figure out more clearly what I want out of this.  Ya think?

0 Responses to “Hatwok bilong mi pepa”

Post a Comment